WHO WE ARE
R-LABS is the real estate industry venture builder, and we believe that the best way to predict the future is to help create it. We work alongside entrepreneurs and innovators to identify problems in real estate and co-create purpose-driven companies. Through the science of company building, we’re developing transformative solutions and driving meaningful change through real estate. To support our mission and continued growth, we’re looking for an entrepreneurial-spirited Venture Analyst to join our experienced Ventures team.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
As a Venture Analyst, you will join the core team at R-LABS and report directly to the Venture Associates and Venture Managing Directors. You will work alongside world-class entrepreneurs to ingest industry problems, break them down into customer problems, and coordinate Lab resources to conceptualize, validate, and help launch venture-scalable companies. You will do this by progressing projects through our Venture Process, which is focused on customer and market validation and includes artifacts such as the Business Model Canvas, the Value Proposition Canvas, learning cards, test cards, and others.
You will join a cross-functional team of investment, technology, design, and operations professionals, serving as an organizational shepherd of customer centricity and advocacy. You are someone who can leverage your analytical skills to identify and distill complex concepts into simple directives, taking a data- and- evidence-driven approach to establish and validate a concrete point of view and then influence key stakeholders to either push the project through to new company formation or push pause and focus elsewhere.
Your day-to-day responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the ventures team in prototyping and iterating new business models.
- Maintaining a customer-centric mindset throughout the customer validation and business-model phases; always ensuring the end-user is top-of-mind.
- Translating customer needs and problems into a Lean Canvas and full Business Model Canvas creation (read more about the R-LABS Venture Process on our website).
- Quantifying and evaluating the total addressable market opportunity and growth potential for each project.
- Supporting customer and investor pitches.
- Supporting R-LABS marketing efforts and ecosystem development.
- Supporting customer and market level research, leveraging the team as necessary to collect pertinent data and adhere to prescribed venture process timelines.
- “Getting out of the building” to capture and represent the customer’s voice; lead 1-1 user interviews and document quotes, stories, and discussions to bring all of this together to identify patterns of insights and opportunities that will inform the overall strategy.
- Maintaining financial models that support the business case of the ventures you’ll help launch.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are an entrepreneurially minded individual with a bias towards action that thrives in ambiguous situations.
- You are proactive and demonstrate strong accountability.
- You are a confident individual with great interpersonal skills and are comfortable working with entrepreneurs and senior-level executives.
- You understand, and are motivated by, the fast-paced environment of start-ups and can manage multiple responsibilities.
- You are not discouraged by the challenges of building start-ups but rather see them as opportunities to find creative solutions and build new skills.
- You embody R-LABS’ values of integrity, appreciation, collaboration, and innovation.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Academic background in Business/Design/Innovation/Engineering or equivalent work experience of at least 2 years in venture studios, start-ups, investment banking, consulting, or venture capital.
- Client-facing experience, or at least a proclivity to sell and develop new business.
- Experience designing business models, market research, and financial modeling.
- Resourcefulness in research. You can find, access, and interview key stakeholders to create needed customer and market discovery.
- Storytelling ability and previous experience facilitating sessions for small and large groups.
- Strong plus: Real estate experience (commercial RE, residential RE, RE development, PropTech).
- Strong plus: Direct experience in designing and launching new ventures or direct experience launching new products.
This role will be performed in-person at the R-LABS head office in Toronto.
We appreciate and are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where everyone belongs. We believe the power of collaboration through the appreciation for a diverse team transforms Real Estate and will bring about meaningful and innovative change. We welcome applications from people of all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender identity or representation, age, religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, racialized peoples, and other underrepresented nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to R-LABS. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply! We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). R-LABS will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us, and we will work with you to meet your needs.